The purpose of the Australia skilled migration scheme is to attract people with skills which would be of benefit to Australia. If successful in applying for skilled migration visa, you will be granted permanent residence in Australia. In order to be eligible for skilled migration, you or your spouse must be able to satisfy the following basic requirements:

Age: You must be under 45 years of age when you apply.

English language: You must have sufficient ability in the English language for working in Australia. This is known as vocational English.

Qualifications: You must have post-secondary (such as university or trade) qualifications, or in a small number of cases, substantial relevant work experience. You must get your skills assessed by the relevant Australian assessing body.

Occupation: You must nominate a skilled occupation which fits your skills and qualifications. The nominated occupation must be in the Skilled Occupations List.

Recent Work Experience: Generally you need to show that you have worked in a skilled occupation for a set period of time. The amount of relevant work experience you must have is dependent on the occupation that you nominate. If you are an international student you may qualify for a waiver of this requirement.

Australia Skilled Migration - Points Tested

Generally in order to qualify for skilled migration you must pass the skilled migration points test. If you have Australian relatives it may be easier for you to pass this test.

Australia Skilled Migration - Designated Area Sponsored

If you have a relative living in a designated area, you may qualify for skilled migration even you do not pass the points test. Designated areas include the whole of Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, ACT, NT, and areas in other states outside capital cities.

Australia Skilled Migration: FAQ


If you have close family living in Australia, they may be able to sponsor you for migration visa or permanent residence. If you are in a permanent relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence on spouse grounds.

Partner Migration

If you are married to, intend to marry or live in a de-facto relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident or New Zealand citizen living in Australia, your partner may sponsor you for permanent residence visa in Australia.

Skilled Australian Sponsored Visas

If you have relatives living in Australia, this may greatly enhance your chances of qualifying for skilled migration. You would need to be aged under 45, and be a manager, professional, associate professional or tradesperson to qualify.

Parent Visas

A Parent Visa enables a person with children who are Australian citizens or permanent residents to be sponsored for migration to Australia. In some circumstances, the visa may be applied for while the parent in Australia. Eligibility depends on how many children the applicant has, and how many of them are living permanently in Australia.

Australia Family Migration: FAQ


If you have a background in business management or high level investment activities and are interested in investing in Australia, starting up a new business in Australia or purchasing an ownership interest in an existing Australian business, you and your family may be eligible for permanent residence status under Australia's business migration program.

Business Owner Visa

Business owner visas allow people with a significant ownership interest in a medium to large size business overseas to migrate to Australia and establish or invest in a business there.

Senior Executive Visa

Senior executives with management experience in a large overseas corporation may be granted permanent residence in Australia under this visa category. Once in Australia, they are expected to establish or make a significant investment in an Australian business.

Investment-Linked Visa

Investment-Linked visas are granted to applicants who are experienced in making business investments, have access to substantial capital, and willing to make a substantial investment in an Australian Government Security for a fixed term. Once they have migrated to Australia, visa holders are expected to engage in some form of business or investment activity.

Existing Business in Australia

If you already have a significant ownership interest in an Australian business, and would be willing to take-up residence in Australia for at least nine months in order to take an active role in the management of that business. This category of business migration requires the least capital outlay.


An Australian company can sponsor a prospective employee for temporary or permanent residence in Australia. A visa will be granted on the condition that the applicant take up a skilled position with the sponsoring organisation. Representatives of foreign companies which intend to open a branch office in Australia may also qualify. If you want to work in Australia on a company sponsorship visa, you will need to find a job with an Australian company before you apply for a visa.


If you wish to come to Australia for a holiday or a short visit, to meet family in Australia or undergo medical treatment, you need a Visitor Visa. A Visitor Visa holder is not permitted to work in Australia, but may study and attend short courses and seminars.


If you are an overseas resident and you wish to study at an Australian School or University you will need to apply for a Student Visa. A Student Visa can have limited work rights attached to it on application.


Business Visitors

If you are a business person who visits Australia regularly to conduct business activities, a multiple entry short stay business visa may be ideal for you. This visa will allow you to conduct business activities in Australia, so long as you don't take up a full-time position with an Australian firm which could otherwise be filled by an Australian resident.

Business Sponsorship

Australia companies may sponsor employees for a temporary residence visa lasting up to 4 years. Note that it is a condition of the visa that employees apply for permission from the Department of Immigration before changing position or employer while they are in Australia.

Working Holiday Visas

If you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, Malta, Japan, the Netherlands, the Republic of Korea or the Republic of Ireland, and you are aged between 18 and 30 years inclusive you may be eligible for a Working holiday visa. This visa will allow you to remain in Australia for one year and work full time while traveling.

Independent Executive Visas

If you wish to come to Australia to establish a business, you may be eligible for an Independent Executive visa. This visa allows you to remain in Australia for 4 years and later become a permanent resident through the established business category.


If you are over 55 years of age and have sufficient funds to support yourself, you may be eligible for a Retirement visa. This visa will allow you to remain in Australia for 4 years.


              COPY RIGHTS @ JCG ASSOCIATES 2005